How to Register a Suppressor in Your Own Name

Once you’ve decided the best route for processing your suppressor paperwork from the How to Buy a Suppressor Page, and you’ve decided to Register the Suppressor in your own name then we will take you step by step through the process here.


Depending on whether you live in Texas or not, the process will be slightly different.  The main difference is that we’ll do the paperwork for Texas buyers, and non-Texas buyers will have an FFL/SOT holder in their state who will fill out the paperwork.


The first thing people hear about when they’re looking at buying an NFA item, such as a suppressor, is the ATF Form 4.  The seems to cause a fair amount of stress as people worry over how they are going to fill out that dreaded form.


Well, the good news is that you don’t need to fill it out at all!


We, or your transfer dealer, will fill out two copies of this form for you and then you’ll need to follow these steps:


  1. Sign section 15 on both copies.
  2. Get 2 passport photos and attach one to section 16 of each copy.  You can have these taken at your local drug store, or you can take them yourself and print them on a color printer.
  3. Finally, you need to take both copies of the Form 4 to your local chief law-enforcement officer (CLEO) and have him sign section 17 on both.  Note that the CLEO should have jurisdiction where you live – and will typically be either your Sheriff or the Police Chief.  (Do you want to avoid the CLEO signature & fingerprints altogether?  Then register using a Trust)
  4. When you go to your local law enforcement office you need to also take the 2 fingerprint cards that have been pre-stamped with the ATF name and address, with you and have them do you fingerprints on these cards.
  5. The last step is to sign a copy of form 5330.20 stating that you are a U.S. Citizen.
  6. Write a Check to the ATF for $200 and stick everything in an envelop and send it into the ATF.






The most difficult part of the entire process is the waiting for the tax stamp to come back from the ATF.  That is what this whole process is about.  You will receive a copy of one of the form 4′s and on it will be a stamp from the ATF showing that you have paid your tax (Tax Stamp).


For Texas buyers, we will receive your tax stamp and will give you a call as soon as it arrives.  Then you can come pick it up


For non-Texas buyers, the FFL/SOT holder who is handling the transfer will receive your tax stamp and will call you to come pick up your new toy!


As you can see, there really isn’t much to the process.  Once you’ve been through it once, chances are you’ll do it again – especially after you see what a blast it is to shoot suppressed!